- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 limes, zest from 1, juice from both
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika, smoked if possible
- 2 teaspoon dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of fat
- Chili Base:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 (28-ounce can) diced tomatoes with green chiles, juice reserved
- 1 (28-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 chayote squash, sliced, pit removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and flesh diced
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- Fresh flour tortillas, for serving
Add all the ingredients to a resealable plastic gallon bag. Mix well and let the steak marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Add the canola oil into a Dutch oven and heat over high heat. When the oil is hot stir in the onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the serrano pepper and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the chili powders and cumin, and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, then add the beef stock and deglaze the pan, Stir in the tomatoes and beans and combine well. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.
Remove the meat from the marinade, pat dry, put on the preheated grill pan and cook for 5 minutes per side. Add the chayote and peppers to the pan with the meat and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove the meat from the grill to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes and then slice it against the grain.
Ladle some of the chili into each bowl and top with some of the meat and vegetables. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and lime and serve with a warm tortilla.