Spicy Steamed Mussels
- 2 pounds mussels, washed and beards removed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch piece) ginger, minced
- 2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 large ciabatta loaf, sliced into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Pick through the washed mussels making sure that they are all tightly closed and all of the beards have been removed.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic, and ginger and saute until translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the chiles, curry powder, and coriander and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the wine and the water and bring to a boil.
Once the mixture is boiling, add the mussels and cover. Steam the mussels for about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have all opened.
Remove the mussels from the heat and discard any that are not open. Place the mussels in a large serving platter, cover to keep warm. Return the pan to the heat, add the cream, season with pepper, to taste, and bring to a simmer. Add the cilantro, scallions, lime zest and juice. Pour the liquid over the top of the mussels.
Preheat a grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle the bread with olive oil and grill 1 minute per side. Serve with the steamed mussels.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri