- 4 pounds top round with fat cap
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, or canola oil
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup garlic, whole cloves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sourdough baguette rolls halved, toasted
- 1 cup chopped giardiniera vinaigrette vegetables
- 1 cup jarred red sweet peppers
Rub meat with dry ingredients, cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
Add meat to a roasting pan with bacon fat, add onions and garlic, saute for 15 minutes, deglaze with wine, and add Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and bay leaves.
Place roasting pan in the oven and cook for 3 hours, uncovered, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 135 degrees F in center. Remove, let cool, then slice very thin.
Cool broth in roasting pan and remove the fat that rises to the top. Strain.
Reheat the broth, and add the sliced meat. Place some meat on each toasted roll, ladle with some broth and top with giardiniera vegetables and red peppers.