Braised Short Ribs with Seared Scallop on Mofongo Cake
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds short ribs, cut in 2 pieces
- 1 quart Concord grape juice
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 green pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 white onion, chopped, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro sprigs, divided
- 4 bay leaves, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1 (3-ounce) jar green olives
- 1 (2-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, sliced
- 4 green bananas, peeled and chopped
- 6 pieces bacon, chopped
- 6 sea scallops
In a 3-quart heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Brown the short ribs for about 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until a nice crust forms. Pour in the grape juice and wine, scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add 1/2 of the green peppers, 1/2 onions, 1/2 garlic, 1/2 cilantro, 2 bay leaves, cumin, paprika, olives, roasted peppers, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, boil the green bananas until fork tender. Strain and mash until smooth. Let cool. Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crispy. Add the remaining peppers, onion, garlic and 1/2 of the cilantro. Cook the mixture for about 8 minutes, and then add to the mashed plantains mixture and set aside.
Oil the scallops with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sear the scallops on both sides until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Use a 3-inch ring mold or circle-shaped cookie cutter and fill with mofongo, to shape on serving plate. Place a seared scallop on top of mofongo cake. Remove the short ribs from the pot and shear with fork. Place the ribs on top of the scallop, then use the sauce from the pan and pour about 2 tablespoons on top of it all and serve.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.