- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 pounds fresh shallots, peeled, with roots intact
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Melt the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof saute pan, add the shallots and sugar, and toss to coat. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the shallots start to brown. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper and toss well.
Place the saute pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the shallots, until they are tender. Season to taste, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.
Copyright 2004, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira