Fresh Salmon Tartare
- 1 pound skinless fresh salmon fillet
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 1/3 cup minced shallots (2 shallots)
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 loaf seven-grain bread, thinly sliced and toasted, for serving
Cut the fresh salmon and the smoked salmon in 1/4-inch dice. Place the salmon in a mixing bowl and add the lime juice, shallots, olive oil, dill, capers, two mustards, salt, and pepper. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a few hours for the salmon to marinate.
When ready to serve, toast the bread and taste the salmon for seasonings. Serve the tartare with triangles of the toast.
Warning: Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.