- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 racks of lamb, frenched and cut into 8 chops each
- Yogurt Mint Sauce, recipe follows
Place the garlic, rosemary, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the herbs are finely minced. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and red wine and combine. Place the chops in a glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Pour the marinade over the chops, turning to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
When ready to cook, prepare a grill with one layer of hot coals or turn a gas grill to medium-high heat. Remove the lamb from the marinade, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Serve hot with the cold Yogurt Mint Sauce.
Yogurt Mint Sauce:
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7 ounces Greek-style yogurt (recommended: Fage Total)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the scallions, mint, dill, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree until it's a coarse paste. Add the yogurt, salt, and pepper and pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop.