Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, such a Lindt, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Smallest pinch cayenne pepper
- Long cinnamon sticks for stirrers, optional
Place the milk and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Off the heat, stir in the chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper with a wooden spoon and allow to steep for 3 minutes. Reheat the hot chocolate over low heat until it simmers.
Strain the chocolate into a measuring cup and pour into mugs. Stir with cinnamon sticks, if desired.
2010, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved