Pasta with Pecorino and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole black Tellicherry peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound dried Italian egg pasta, such as tagliarelle
- 1 cup freshly grated aged Pecorino cheese (4 ounces), plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package until al dente. Ladle 1 cup of the pasta cooking water into a glass measuring cup and reserve it. Drain the pasta quickly in a colander and return the pasta to the pot with a lot of the pasta water still dripping.
Working quickly, with the heat on very low, toss the pasta with 1/2 cup of the grated Pecorino, the crushed peppercorns, cream, butter, parsley, and 1 teaspoon salt, tossing constantly. If the pasta seems dry, add some of the reserved cooking water. Off the heat, toss in the remaining 1/2 cup Pecorino. Serve immediately with a big bowl of extra grated Pecorino for sprinkling.
2008, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, All Rights Reserved