Red Lettuce with Balsamic Onions
This salad is inspired by one that's made at Nick & Toni's, one of my favorite restaurants in East Hampton. They add blue cheese, which[ is incredibly delicious too.]
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 15 min
- 15 min
- 6 servings
- 3 small red onions
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots (2 large)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 2 heads red-leaf, washed, spun dry, and torn into pieces.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut the onions in 1/2 and slice 1/4-inch thick, place on a baking sheet and toss with:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are tender.
Remove from oven and toss with 2 more tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cool to room temperature.
Copyright 2003, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira