- 1 pound French string beans (haricots verts), ends removed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 3 large shallots, large-diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 1/2 minutes only. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
Heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan (12-inch diameter) or large pot and saute the shallots on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Drain the string beans and add to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, tossing well. Heat only until the beans are hot.
Per serving: Calories: 83; Total Fat: 6 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 2 grams; Total carbohydrates: 6.5 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 10 milligrams; Sodium: 113 milligrams