Tuna and Hummus Sandwiches
- 14 ounces jarred or canned Italian tuna in olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced cornichons
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons good mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sourdough bread, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Hummus, store-bought or homemade (recipe follows)
- Fresh radishes, sliced
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved (15.5-ounce can)
- 1/3 cup tahini or sesame paste
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 8 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Drain the oil from the tuna, reserving the oil. Place the tuna in a mixing bowl and flake it with a fork. Add the celery, onion, cornichons, lemon juice, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil, the mustard, salt, and pepper and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop.
Toast the bread and spread each slice with a layer of hummus. Spread the tuna salad on each piece of bread, garnish with slices of radish, and serve immediately.
For the Hummus:
Place the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid, the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until coarsely pureed. The hummus should be moist and thick; add more lemon juice or reserved chickpea liquid to thin, if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for several hours for the flavors to blend. Taste for seasonings. Yield: 2 cups.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.