- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 quart warm water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Whole cinnamon sticks, optional, for serving
In a blender, combine the rice and warm water. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until the rice breaks up but does not form a powder. Let the rice mixture stand in the refrigerator for 6 hours or up to overnight.
Strain the rice mixture into a container through a fine-mesh sieve or several layers of cheesecloth to remove the rice solids.
Pour the rice water into a blender and add the milk, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, and sugar. Blend for 1 minute until well combined and smooth. Serve the horchata over ice with cinnamon sticks as stirrers.
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008