Island Quesadillas with Lime Sour Cream and Pureed Mango Dip
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 pounds large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 pineapple rounds, fresh or canned in juice, about 1-inch thick
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 mango, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a stove-top grill pan or griddle to medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Season shrimp all over with salt, black pepper and cumin. Place shrimp on the hot pan and cook 2 minutes per side, until bright pink and cooked through. Place pineapple on grill next to shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove shrimp and pineapple from grill and cut both into 1-inch chunks.
Arrange 4 tortillas on a flat surface. Top with, shrimp, pineapple, cheese, red peppers, and scallions. Place second tortilla on top. Transfer with hands or with a spatula, to a baking sheet. Place a second baking sheet on top to weigh down the tortillas. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.
Remove quesadillas from the oven. Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with lime sour cream and pureed mango on the side.
Recipe courtesy Robin Miller 2007
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman