- 1 tablespoon (about 5-6) of whole dehydrated red Thai chiles
- 1 large red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed
- Zest of one large orange
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, for garnish
- Bamboo skewers, soaked for one hour
- Pineapple Ginger Salsa, recipe follows
*Cook s Note: If using dehydrated chiles soak them in warm tap water for 1 hour or till soften (this is usually only take 20 minutes, but I found with the smaller chiles, like the red Thai, that is take about an hour or so to fully rehydrate).
Place both the red Thai chiles and the bell peppers in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Transfer chiles to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, orange zest, rice wine vinegar, honey, salt, ginger and coriander and mix together thoroughly.
Preheat your grill while your shrimp is marinating.
Remove shrimp from fridge and grill over medium high heat for about 1-2 minutes per side. Glaze with the marinade the last minute of grilling. Remove to a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Pineapple Ginger Salsa:
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste