- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, slivered
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup jarred oil-packed giardiniera (pickled Italian vegetables), drained and roughly chopped
- Aged provolone, for grating
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl.
Add the garlic, onion, green pepper, red pepper, paprika and chile flakes to the pan. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste begins to caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juices and simmer until very thick and the liquid is evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir the cooked sausage into the peppers and onions along with the rice, basil and parsley. Cook briefly until heated through.
Divide the mixture among 4 shallow bowls. Scatter about 1/4 cup of the chopped giardiniera over the top of each and garnish each bowl with some grated provolone. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.