- 4 cups Easy Mac and Cheese, recipe follows
- 8 slices country white bread, buttered
- 4 slices American cheese
- 8 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, cooked
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch slices, optional
- Hot sauce, such as Frank's, optional
Evenly spread the Easy Mac and Cheese in an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Cut the mac and cheese into 4 equal-size squares.
Preheat a griddle over medium-low heat. Place each mac and cheese square on a slice of bread, top with 1 slice American cheese and 2 slices bacon. Top with a second piece of bread and griddle the sandwich until golden and warm, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve.
For the adults, toss the tomatoes in some hot sauce and add on top of the bacon before griddling your sandwich.
Easy Mac and Cheese:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounce processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar
- Splash hot sauce, or pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water to al dente and drain.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir for a couple of minutes, making sure it's free of lumps and the flour taste is cooked out. Stir in the milk, bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the processed cheese and Cheddar until melted, add the hot sauce and fold in the macaroni. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.