Nacho Abuelitos Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground fresh Mexican chorizo
- 8 slices good quality white bread, such as Arnold Country White Sliced
- 8 ounces shredded Chihuahua cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, sliced
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- Restaurant-style tortilla chips, such as Donkey corn tortilla chips
- Honey Chipotle Crema, recipe follows
- Honey Chipotle Crema:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt and pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and brown the chorizo over medium heat until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the chorizo, and move to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside.
In between two pieces of bread, layer the cheese, chorizo, olives, jalapenos and then another layer of cheese. Add some butter to the griddle over medium-low heat, and place the sandwich on the griddle. Add more butter to the top of the bread and cover with a metal bowl until golden on the outside and gooey in the middle, 5 minutes per side. Open the sandwich and place a few tortilla chips inside, then close again.Honey Chipotle Crema:
Mix the sour cream, cilantro, honey, chipotle pepper, lime juice and some salt and pepper together, and set aside.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro