Smashed Sausage and Pepper Burgers
- 4 pounds sweet or hot Italian bulk sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sweet Peppers, recipe follows
- 8 slices whole-milk mozzarella
- 8 bakery hamburger buns, buttered and griddled
- Your favorite red sauce, for serving
- Sweet Peppers:
- 4 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Form the Italian sausage in 4-ounce patties a little bit wider than the buns you are using. Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. In batches, cook each side of the patties until crisp and golden and no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes a side.
Line the cooked sausage patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place some Sweet Peppers on top, then a slice of cheese. Broil in the oven until the cheese is melty and golden brown. Place on the griddled buns and serve with red sauce.Sweet Peppers:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the pepper strips with the oil, garlic and some salt and pepper, and place in a 9-by-14-inch baking dish. Bake, stirring halfway through, until the peppers become lighter in color and soft, about 20 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.