Lemon Yogurt Berry Swirl with Homemade Granola
- 4 cups oats (NOT quick-cook or instant)
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds, shelled, but skin still on
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil (canola)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried banana slices
- Inactive Prep Time:
- Lemon Yogurt and Berry Swirl:
- Berry swirl:
- 3 cups mixed berries (any combination, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) frozen
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Lemon yogurt:
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Recipe courtesy Mark Dissin
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix oats, almonds, flax seeds, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. In a saucepan warm the oil and honey. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour the honey, oil, vanilla mixture over the oat mixture and mix gently, but well. Mix with spatula and eventually your hands. Spread out onto a sheet pan and bake for 40 minutes (stir after the first 20). Cool and break up any clumps. Mix in dried fruit.
Yield: about 9 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutesLemon Yogurt and Berry Swirl:
Recipe courtesy Tyler FlorenceLemon yogurt:
Add berries, lemon juice and confectioners' sugar in a pan over medium heat. Cook until the berries break down and mixture becomes syrupy, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine the yogurt, zest and juice in a mixing bowl and stir. To serve, set up glasses and layer with granola, yogurt and berries.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.