- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 small diced onion
- 1 small diced green pepper
- 1 small diced yellow pepper
- 4 cups canned chili beans (recommended: mixed organic)
- 2 strips applewood bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Spicy Slaw:
- 3 cups savoy cabbage
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Coat a large saucepan with oil and add the onions and peppers. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
Rinse and drain the beans. Add the beans and the remaining ingredients to the pan and simmer over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
Spicy Slaw: Finely shred the cabbage. In mixing bowl add vinegar and sugar, stir to dissolve, add ketchup, cayenne and paprika. Add the cabbage and let sit for 30 minutes.
Transfer the beans to a serving bowl and serve with the slaw.