Brussels Sprouts Supreme
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 morita or pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir until coated with the butter, 1 minute. Add the broth, cover, and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until all of the broth has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a medium bowl.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the same pan. Add the green onions, chiles, and pine nuts. Saute until the nuts are toasted and the chiles are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, return the Brussels sprouts to the pan, and toss to coat them with the cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine