Acorn Squash Stuffed with Love: Zucca al Forno
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, cut into fine dice
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups mascarpone
- 3/4 pound Emmentaler, grated
- 1/4 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 large acorn squash, seeds and strings removed, caps reserved
In a medium saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter, add the onion and mushrooms, and saute until they soften and the onions release their juices. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saute pan, melt the remaining butter and toss in the bread cubes, cooking over high heat until they are crisp.
Place the squash in a baking dish and, using a total of a third of the cheese mixture, stuff the bottom of each of the squash. Using a total of half of the bread cubes, place them in even quantities into each of the squash. Top the bread cube layer with more of the cheese mixture, then the remaining bread cubes, and the remaining cheese. Replace the top on the pumpkin and roast 1 1/2 hours in the oven, until the flesh is very soft. Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and scoop out the cheese and flesh to serve.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen