Anchovy Bruschetta: Bruschetti di Alici
- 12 salt-packed anchovy fillets
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 16 thin slices Italian peasant bread
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Soak anchovies in water for 1 hour. Drain, rinse and chop.
Using a fork, mash the anchovies, parsley, mint and the garlic in a bowl.
Add the olive oil and pepper, to taste. Keep mixing and mashing until you achieve a creamy consistency. You may need to add more oil.
Spread the anchovy mixture in equal amounts over the bread slices. Place the bruschetta on a large baking sheet. Bake until the bread is just toasted, about 8 to10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali