Artichoke Antipasto: Carciofata
- 6 tablespoons plus 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 20 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Sea salt
- 4 slices peasant bread, grilled
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat 6 tablespoons of oil until almost smoking. Add the onions, pine nuts, currants, chile flakes, garlic, artichokes, and tomatoes and saute until soft and fragrant, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool and stir in the herbs. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, season with sea salt, and serve with the grilled bread.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.