Baby Octopus Spiedini with Beet Green Salad
- 2 pounds baby octopus (20 to 30 pieces)
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 1/4 cup fennel leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups baby beet tops, washed, spun dry and chiffonade
- Sea salt
Preheat barbecue or grill.
Place octopus in 4 quarts cool water and add 1 wine cork. Bring to boil and lower heat to low boil. Cook 25 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse and allow to cool. In a mixing bowl, stir together orange zest, almonds, 2 tablespoons olive oil, crushed red pepper and fennel leaves. Add cooled octopus and let stand 25 minutes until coals are hot and ready. Thread octopus evenly on to 4 skewers and place over coals. Cook until crispy and slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, toss beet greens with orange juice and remaining oil and season with sea salt. Divide greens among 4 plates and place one speidino over each pile. Drizzle with remaining marinade and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali