Barbecued Lamb Chops with Citrus and Fire-Roasted Artichokes
- 4 artichokes, split in half
- 2 racks of lamb
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thick half moons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice and zest of 3 lemons, 3 oranges and 3 limes
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 oranges, 3 lemons and 3 limes, segmented
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
Preheat barbeque or grill, then place artichokes on grill.
Clean and trim racks of lamb and cut into 8 double chops. Sprinkle chops with rosemary and brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil and set aside.
In a 2 to 3 quart sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add sugar and cook until dark brown caramel begins to form. Add juices and zests and vinegar and simmer 5 minutes. Add fruit segments, simmer 2 minutes more and remove from heat.
Grill lamb chops over hot part of grill 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove artichokes from grill and arrange on platter. Arrange lamb chops at other end, drizzle with citrus sauce and garnish with parsley.