Bluefish as the Fisherman's Flag: Bandiera alla Marinara
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 baking potato, like russets, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 cup Gaeta olives
- 2 tablespoons salted capers, rinsed
- 1 pound fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 11/2 pounds bluefish fillet, skin and bones removed, cut into 4-ounce pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil until almost smoking. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and potato and saute 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Add the chile flakes, olives, capers, and tomatoes, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, until the tomatoes have fallen apart. Add the water and bring to a boil. Season the fish well with salt and pepper, place it in the pan and cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.