Bollito Misto with Salsa Verde
- 1 calf's tongue (2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and stuck with 2 cloves
- 1 veal shank (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 pound beef brisket
- 2 beef cheeks
- 4 beef sausages
- 1 capon (cut into 4 pieces)
- 1/2 turkey breast (about 2 pounds)
- Salsa Verde:
- 1 bunch Italian parsley (leaves picked from stems)
- 2 saltpacked anchovies, headed, gutted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon saltpacked capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 hardboiled egg, roughly chopped
- 4 cornichons
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cover calf's tongue and warm water and boil 40 minutes. Drain, cool and peel off outer skin and membrane. In a large soup pot, place 3 quarts water, vinegar, carrots, celery, onion and veal shank over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and boil 45 minutes. Add brisket, beef cheeks and sausages and boil, covered, 30 minutes. Add capon and turkey breast and boil uncovered, 45 minutes. Replace dissipated water with each step. Remove each piece of meat and arrange on a platter.
To make salsa verde: place parsley, anchovies, capers, hardboiled egg, cornichons, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper in food processor and blend until smooth, about one minute.
Carve meat and serve with salsa verde.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.