Braised Breast of Veal with Onions and Herbs: Petto di Vitello con Cipolline e Mentuccia
- 5 to 6 pounds of veal breast, with bones in, fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 pound cippolline, peeled, a cross cut in the base of each
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 5 red jalapenos, split, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch half moons
Lightly oil a pot large enough for the breast to fit it, cutting the meat into 2 or 3 pieces if necessary. Pour in water to cover. Add the salt and pepper, the oil and the herbs and cover. Cook over medium-low heat until the water has evaporated and the meat has started to brown, about 2 hours. urn the meat and continue cooking until second side is deep golden brown adding more water if necessary. When very tender, remove to a serving platter.
Degrease the pan and add the cippolline. Saute over high heat until lightly browned. Return the meat to the pan and add the wine. Cover and simmer until the onions are cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let the meat rest 5 minutes before slicing. Finish with mint leaves and chiles and serve.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Braised Leg of Lamb with Caraway Basmati Rice, Breast of Chicken on Pumpkin/Cranberry Rissole with White Chocolate Balsamic Sauce and Asparagus, Trio of Flavors on a Stick: Duck Mousse, Duck Breast and Meringue-Berry, Zabaglione Recipes, Ravioli Recipes, Antipasti Recipes, Chicken Piccata Recipes, Spaghetti Recipes, Cannoli