Bruschetta with Melanzane al Fungho
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 medium eggplant, long, thin, halved lengthwise and cut 1/4-inch half moons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
- 8 slices peasant bread
Preheat grill or barbecue.
In a 10-inch to 12-inch saute pan, heat oil until smoking. Add onions and cook until lightly browned or softened. Add garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring regularly until golden brown and soft, resembling mushrooms. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper and allow to cool. Add parsley and mix well.
Grill bread on grill or barbecue. Divide eggplant mixture over bread and serve
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali