Calamaretti alla Amalfitana
- 4 ounces virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces each
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 12 baby calamari, whole, peeled and cleaned (about 11/2 pounds)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade, to yield 1/8 cup
In a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan, heat together oil, onion and garlic over medium high heat until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add eggplant and cook until just softened. Add tomatoes and lemon and season with salt and pepper and cook until they fall apart, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add calamari, season again, and cook until just opaque, about 2 minutes per side. Add basil and toss. Arrange on platter and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.