Chicken Stemperata: Stemperata di Pollo
- c1 (3 1/2 pound) chicken, cleaned and cut into 8 serving portions, and breast cut in 2 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 red, yellow, or orange peppers, cored, seeded and cut into medium strips
- 1 stick celery, cut into large pieces
- 2 small unpeeled eggplants, cut into large cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons salt packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup whole pitted Sicilian olives (the green variety)
- 4 fresh plum tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- 5 whole chiles
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 bunch each fresh chopped mint leaves and parsley leaves
- Pinch chile flakes
Pat the cleaned chicken dry, and then season the pieces with salt and pepper. In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Carefully add the chicken pieces and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
In the pan with the chicken drippings add potatoes, peppers, celery, eggplant, carrot, capers, olives, tomatoes and whole chiles. Toss together. Add the wine and chicken, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat and stir in chopped mint, parsley and a pinch of chili flakes.
Transfer the cooked stew to a serving dish and allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chicken for Almodovar, Chicken Breasts with Orange-Fennel Seed-Olive Relish, Chili-Rubbed Free Range Chicken with Guacamole and Pico De Gallo, Smothered Black Beans and Tortilla Threads, Chicken, Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Chicken and Rice Recipes, Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes