- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons sweet white wine
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped medium fine
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Honey, for brushing the fritters
Place the flour on a clean work surface and add the salt, sugar, lemon zest, oil, and enough wine to make a firm but tender dough. Knead for 5 minutes, then wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest 30 minutes.
In the meantime, make the filling by combining the chocolate, nuts, and jam and mix with a spoon. Set aside, covered.
Roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and, using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. Place a dab of filling on each circle of dough, moisten the edges with a bit of beaten egg, and fold each round in half, pressing them shut with finger pressure or a fork.
In a tall-sided pot, heat the oil to 350 degrees F and fry the until they are deep golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Brush each fritter with honey and serve hot or cold.