Clams with Broccoli Rape ("rah-pay")
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli rape, cut into 5 inch pieces, about 2 cups
- 1 pound New Zealand cockles, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup passata (rough tomato sauce)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 dried bread crumbs
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic is golden brown. Add the broccoli rape and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cockles, passata, white wine, and chile flakes, cover, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, until all the clams have just opened.
Season with salt and pepper and pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali, 2001