Cod with the Fruit of the Sea---Merluzzo Ai Frutti di Mare
- 4 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound small cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 pounds cod fillet, skin and bones removed
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
- 1 pound cockles or other small clams
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a 14 to 16-inch saute pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil until almost smoking. Add the onions and garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until soft and light golden brown. Add the tomatoes and the chili flakes and flatten tomatoes with a fork, allowing them to release their juices. Cook for 10 minutes, until tomatoes have completely fallen apart. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the cod, mussels, and cockles, reduce heat to a simmer and cover, allowing to cook for 10 minutes, until fish is cooked through. Remove from heat, sprinkle with parsley, drizzle with remaining olive oil, season with salt and pepper and serve.
All recipes copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse