Concia of Zucchini
- 3 medium green zucchini, about 1 pound
- 3 medium yellow zucchini, about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 bunches fresh basil chiffonade, to yield 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 porcelain or glass deep dish pie pan
Trim green and yellow zucchini at both ends and slice lengthwise into pieces 1/4-inch thick. Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan until just smoking. Cook 5 or 6 pieces of zucchini at a time until golden brown, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pieces and drain on paper towels. Continue with remaining zucchini until finished.
In a mixing bowl, lightly stir together garlic, basil, salt and pepper until well mixed. Place several pieces of zucchini on bottom of pie dish until base is covered. Sprinkle zucchini with 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons herb mixture as evenly as possible and spritz with 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar. Continue layering zucchini and herb mixture until zucchini is finished and cover with plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving. To serve, remove piece by piece and serve over freshly grilled bread.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali