Egg Pasta with Lamb Sauce: Tagliolini Col Sugo di Agnello
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 bunch basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound pancetta, finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut into small chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (12-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand, plus their juices
- 3/4 pound fresh egg tagliolini
In a large, fairly deep skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onion, carrot, basil and pancetta and cook over medium-high heat until the pancetta fat has been completely rendered. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and add it to the pan, cooking until it is browned. Add the wine, let it cook 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and 4 cups boiling water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, until the meat is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat and keep it warm, then add the fresh pasta to the sauce and cook until al dente. When the pasta is cooked, return the meat to the pan, stir gently over heat for a few minutes and divide evenly among 4 warmed pasta bowls to serve.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.