Espresso Chocolate Pudding with Pine Nuts: Sanguinaccio
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup espresso, or strong coffee
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peak
- 5 tablespoons pine nuts, baked for 8 minutes in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven
Mix the cocoa powder, flour, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in a bit of the milk to form a paste, then add the remaining milk to make a thin batter. Transfer to a large saucepan and, stirring constantly over medium heat, slowly bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add the grated chocolate and espresso, and stir to mix well. When the chocolate is completely melted, fill 6 (6-ounce) ramekins four-fifths full, and allow to cool.
Cover each with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with the pine nuts. Serve immediately, or chill until needed.
Recipe adapted from Mario Batali Holiday Food