Flank Steak Rolls with Bitter Broccoli (Braciole Ripieni di Rape)
- 3 cups Basic Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 cup green Italian olives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound beef flank steak, sliced into 8 thin scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, blanched in boiling water and refreshed
- Flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
- Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All rights reserved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped in 1/4- inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 28 ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- Salt to taste
In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, green olives and 2 tablespoons oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking while assembling the rest of the dish.
In a mixing bowl, combine the Pecorino, chopped parsley and nutmeg and mix until well blended. Lay 8 pieces of steak out on board. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the Pecorino mixture evenly over the beef, spreading it to form a thin layer on top of each piece of steak. Roughly chop the broccoli rabe and divide it among the pieces of beef. Roll up each piece like a jelly roll and tie securely with a piece of butcher's twine. Dredge each roll in the flour.
In a 12- to 14-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil until smoking. Place 4 rolled steak pieces at a time in the skillet and brown evenly, rolling with tongs or a wooden spoon. Remove first 4 pieces and repeat with remaining four. Remove second group and pour off the cooking oil to discard.
Put the skillet back on the heat and add the red wine, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Add the simmering tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add all 8 beef rolls and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until all of the meat is cooked through. Remove the meat to heated platter, pour the sauce over the meat and garnish with the remaining oregano.BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
In a 3 quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve. This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to six months in the freezer. Yield: 4 cups
More Recipes and Ideas:
Broiled Flank Steak with Tomato-Scallion Relish, Flank Steak with Red Wine Vinegar and Greens: Low Carb, Grilled Flank Steak with Cebollitas (Grilled Green Onions), Beef Recipes, Antipasti Recipes, Carrot Soup Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Beef Chili Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.