Fresh Canned Tuna: Tonno Sott'Olio
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Black peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- 5 pounds fresh tuna, cut into chunks
- 1 quart extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly baked pane di casa
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
In a stock pot, combine the vinegar, onion, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, add 2 quarts of water and cook over high heat until it is reduced by one-third. Add the tuna, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes. Drain the tuna and place in a jar or terra cotta pot. Cover with olive oil and seal. Let sit for 20 to 30 days, refrigerated, then serve this perfectly preserved tuna with fresh bread and chopped red onion.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.