Fried Bread Served with Mixed Fried Bread Served with Mixed Meats and Cheeses for Classic Snack: Paste Crisciute-Spuntino
- Pizza Dough, recipe follows
- 6 cups extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound salamini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound soppressata
- 1/2 pound testa ( head cheese)
- 1/2 pound young pecorino
- 1/2 pound aged pecorino
- 1/2 pound stracchino
- 2 cups "La Spiritosa" marinated vegetables, recipe follows
- 1 container chocolate-hazelnut spread
- Pizza Dough:
- 1/4 cup light red or white wine, Fiano di Avellino
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Spicy Vegetable Pickles ("La Spiritosa"):
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided into 5 equal portions
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick medallions
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1/2 pound green beans, ends removed
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch thick medallions
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets with 4-inch stalks
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 20 mint leaves
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 pinches hot chile flakes
Prepare the pizza dough according to the recipe and cut the dough into 2-inch squares.
In a saucepan, heat the oil until almost smoking. Cook the dough squares in the oil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Serve bread hot with sliced meats, cheese, vegetables, and hazelnut spread.Pizza Dough:
Place wine, water, and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil, and mix well to combine. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of the flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, incorporating as much flour as you can with the wooden spoon.
Bring the dough together by hand and turn out onto a floured board or marble surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and firm. Place in a clean, lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.Spicy Vegetable Pickles ("La Spiritosa"):
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat 1/5 of the oil until just smoking. Saute each vegetable until tender and golden brown and remove each to a platter when finished cooking. To the pan, add vinegar, mint leaves, sugar and a pinch of hot chili flakes and stir with a wooden spoon over heat to dislodge the browned vegetables in the pan. Pour the vinegar mixture over each of the 5 vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.