Fried Zucchini Flowers with Alici e Limone
- 1 pound golden creamer potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pound marinated anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Boil potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes, until soft but not water-logged. Drain, allow to cool 10 minutes, and mash to a somewhat smooth consistency. Add the egg, anchovies, scallions, 4 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, thyme and salt and pepper, to taste.
Pick through open zucchini flowers to remove stamens and check for bugs. Using a small teaspoon, stuff each blossom with 2 teaspoons of the filling.
In a 10 to 12-inch non-stick saute pan, heat the olive oil until smoking. Place 4 flowers into the pan at a time and cook until golden brown on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange 3 blossoms on each of 4 warmed dinner plates and serve immediately, with bruschetta drizzled with best-quality extra-virgin olive oil, and lemon wedges.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali