Gamberoni al' Acqua Pazza: Shrimp in "Crazy Water"
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed flat
- 1 hot pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bulb fennel, thinly sliced, fronds set aside
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sea water, or 1/2 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, heads and tails on
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped to yield 1/8 cup
In a 6-quart soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the onion, garlic, hot pepper, and fennel and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, wine and water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl and garnish with fennel fronds and parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse