Grilled Anchovies (or Sardines) with Christmas Limas, Mint and Chili Oil
- 1 cup Christmas Lima beans, soaked overnight in 6 cups water
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1/2 cup
- 2 red jalapenos or serrano chilis, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh anchovies (or sardines)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 head Frisee lettuce, washed and spun dry
Drain soaked beans, place in 4-quart saucepan with 8 cups water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to high simmer and cook until tender, yet slightly firm to the bite. Drain and cool. Place cool beans in a mixing bowl and add onion, mint and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, toss to coat and set aside.
Place remaining half cup of oil into a blender and add chilis, pepper flakes and capers and blend until smooth. Remove to bottle with lid and set aside.
Clean and gut anchovies and place on hottest part of grill, and cook through, about 1 minute per side. Meanwhile, add vinegar to bean mixture and toss to mix. Add Frisee and stir to coat. Place on platter. Remove fish from grill, arrange around salad and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali