Grilled Smoked Mozzarella---Scamorza All Griglia
- 4 scamorza, or smoked mozzarella, 8 to 12 ounces each, cut in half
- 1/4 cup best quality sun dried tomatoes, cut into thin julienne
- 1/2 cup olio piccante, recipe follows
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram
- SPICY OIL---OLIO PICCANTE:
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 8 jalapenos, seeded and chopped into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
Preheat the grill and oil it with an oil-soaked towel. If you don't have agrill, a non-stick saute pan will work in this case. Place the pieces of scamorza cut side down on the hottest part of the grill and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until a dark golden brown skin forms. Gently turn scamorza and repeat on the rounded side. Remove to a platter and sprinkle each with a few pieces of tomato. Drizzle with a bit of hot oil and place the bunch of marjoram in the center of the plate for each of the guests to pinch a little onto their portion.SPICY OIL---OLIO PICCANTE:
Place oil, jalapenos, chili flakes, and paprika in a medium sauce pan and place over medium heat. Heat to 175 degrees F, remove from heat and allow to cool. Allow to stand overnight and strain out solids. This oil will last 3 weeks unrefrigerated in a cool and dark place.
All recipes copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Jeffrey Saad