Homemade Husband Blinders with Garlic Sauce: Cecamariti alla Checca
- 1/4 cup light red or white wine, such as Fiano del Avellino
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 ounces yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Pinch red chile flakes
- 1 pound red ripe tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the dough: Place the wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of flour and stir with the spoon for another 2 to 3 minutes, to incorporate as much of the flour as possible.
Bring the dough together with your hands and turn it out onto a floured board or marble surface. Knead for about 6 to 8 minutes, until you have made a firm, smooth dough. Place it in a clean, lightly-oiled bowl and cover it with a towel. Let it rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Meanwhile, divide the dough into several pieces and roll out by hand to resemble long strands of spaghetti. Cook in the boiling water 5 minutes, drain and add to the sauce. Toss over heat 1 minute and divide evenly among 4 warmed pasta bowls and serve.