Lamb Sweetbreads from Lupa: Animelle Fritti di Lupa
- 1 1/2 pound lamb sweetbreads, cleaned
- 1 bulb fennel, coarsely chopped, plus 1/2 bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped, plus 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups white wine
- 2 white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, plus freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 5 sage leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 liter extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup quick mixing flour
- 3 lemons, cut into quarters
Soak the sweetbreads in several changes of cold water for 2 hours. Remove from the water bath and press between 2 plates.
In a large fish poacher or other pot, combine the chopped fennel, carrots, celery, 6 cloves garlic, chopped onion, wine, vinegar, mustard seed, fennel seed, celery seed, chili flakes, peppercorns, salt and water and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Add the thyme, sage and rosemary and cook 5 minutes more. Strain out the solids and return to a boil. Add the sweetbreads and return to a simmer. Cook about 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
In a tall-sided pot, heat the olive oil to 375 degrees F.
Combine the semolina and quick mixing flour in a shallow bowl or plate. Dredge the sweetbreads, sliced onion, sliced fennel and 2 of the lemons in the flour mixture and cook in the hot oil until golden brown, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan. Remove the fried foods with a spider or slotted spoon, season with salt and pepper and serve with the uncooked lemon wedges on the side.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Asian Lollipop Lamb Chops, Fire Roasted Baby Lamb Chops with Smoked Paprika-Orange BBQ Sauce, Grilled Lamb Chops with Artichoke Puree, Crispy Baby Artichokes and Cerignola Olive, Deep-Frying, Panna Cotta Recipes, Meat Recipes, Lemon Cookie Recipes, Short Ribs Recipes, Easy Stir-Frying
Thank you! your flag was submitted.