Marinated Vegetables: Verdure in Scapece
- 2 Italian eggplants, about 1 pound, cut into 1/2-inch slices lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more, for brushing vegetables
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch wide slices lengthwise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 salt packed anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano or mint, chopped
Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and arrange in a single layer. Cover with kitchen weights or weighted plates and let sit for 2 hours.
Preheat the grill or broiler. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and grill for 10 minutes on each side or until dark brown. Brush the pepper slices with olive oil and cook skin side down for 5 to 6 minutes, or until blackened and blistered. Brush the zucchini slices with olive oil and grill for 5 minutes on each side or until grilled and cooked through.
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, the vinegar, garlic, anchovies, and herbs, and mix well. Pour the mixture over the hot vegetables and cover immediately with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight, covered but at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe copyright Mario Batali, 2002. All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman