Minestrone Col Pesto
- 1 pound Borlotti (or pinto) beans
- 1 pound Cannelloni (or white) beans
- 1 medium red onion, 1/4 inch dice
- 2 medium zucchini, 1/4 inch rounds
- 4 plum tomatoes, 1/2 inch dice
- 4 stalks of celery, 1/4 inch slices
- 2 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 leeks, cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch moons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces small shells pasta
- 1/2 cup pesto
Soak beans separately overnight and drain.
In a large sauce pot, place both kinds of beans, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, celery, potatoes, leeks and olive oil and cover by 1 inch with cool water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender. Add pasta, turn heat to a boil and cook until "al dente". Divide among bowls and top each bowl of minestrone with a dollop of pesto.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali